I started doing some programming again and I was in need of the F5 and F6 keys. Pressing the FN key and then pressing the right function button gets annoying. Usually the more steps it takes to accomplish something the less enjoyable it is. So I wanted my function keys back!
To change the Action keys to function keys you need to go into the Bios. Recently I reinstalled Windows 7 so I lost the software that allowed me to. It took a bit of time and research but now it can be done. Here's the how to.
How to access Bios and change the Action keys:
- Ensure you have UEFI (get it at HP's Support and Drivers. I used "HP Pavilion DV6T-6100")
- When booting up press the Esc key
- Press F10 for Bios Setup
- Use the arrow key and highlight System Configuration
- Select Action Keys Mode and change it to "Disabled"
- Select Exit, and Exit Saving Changes.
Most programs don't use all the function keys so it's not entirely needed. For gamers the function keys are essential so this will be super useful. If you don't want to change the Action keys to function keys I will go over on how to use AutoHotKey to remap the number pad to assign only the keys you need.