Gear: Samsung 830 Series SSD., Sata to USB Adapter., Acronis Easy Migrate 7.0, X230T Accessories.
I really enjoy my new system with a speedy SSD. There are a few advantages to an SSD, which are: dealing with system shock, faster read/write times, and maybe a few power advantages (ie battery can last a bit longer). Of course to upgrade to an SSD you need to be aware of the methods, the equipment, and the steps.
- Clean/fresh install of Windows 7.
- This copies the contents of an existing drive, and places those contents onto an SSD. The system will think that the SSD is the same as the existing HDD.
I went the cloning method because I had already installed programs. The clean/fresh install is an even better method because it gets rid of some of the useless software.
You need to get an SSD, an adapter, and the software.
This is a 2.5 inch SATA drive and the thickness is 7mm. The thickness is very important to know because the majority of SSDs are 9mm thick. The 9mm thick SSDs do not fit in the X230T. You have to ensure that you get a 7mm thick drive. I got a Samsung 830 Series 256GB SSD.
The adapter we are looking for is a "Sata to USB adapter". This will be used to connect the SSD to the X230T.
The internet is filled with crap software, and tons of possibilities of software that may or may not work. What I used, and recommend, is Acronis Easy Migrate 7.0 I used the Demo version and it cloned my drive, so that was pretty sweet.
- Turn on your X230T.
- Download and Install Acronis Easy Migrate.
- Connect the SSD to the adapter.
- Connect the adapter to a USB port in the X230T.
- You may want to use one of the USB 3.0 ports (the power port can have issues).
- Run the Acronis Easy Migrate software.
- Click on the "Disk Clone" option and follow the wizard.
- Ensure that you have the AC adapter plugged in.
- The disk cloning process may take a few hours.
- Once the disk cloning is completed, disconnect the adapter and SSD.
- Turn off the X230T.
- Ensure there is no power in the system.
- Unplug the battery and press the power button.
- Remove the X230T drive cover.
- Take out the HDD and remove it from it's enclosure.
- Add the enclosure to the SSD.
- Place the SSD inside the X230T.
- Test the system.
- Plug in the battery.
- Turn on the system.
- If Windows boots up, the cloning was successful.
- If the cloning was successful, secure the cover.
- Cloning complete.
The remove HDD has a recovery partition, so you need to save this. One important thing to note about the Acronis software is that it may fail to do a proper recovery partition, so that's why you need to save that HDD.
The SSD has an effect on the Windows Experience Index (WEI). Here are the results:
- HDD: 5.9
- SSD: 7.9
Hopefully this gives you an idea of what will occur if you upgrade to an SSD. Enjoy!
Make sure to run the Magician software to optimize the SSD.
Samsung 830 Series SSD - Images
Original Hard Disk Drive Info
7200 RPM Seagate 320GB Momentus Thin ST320LT007