Here's a list of some demo scenes that have caught my eye. Demo scenes are digital art that combine music and real-time graphics. You can watch many of these on YouTube at excellent quality, however the real magic is in running the executable on a powerful computer
The earlier demos were rather simple and often focused on small file sizes, but that has changed over time--the graphics are very polished and file size is not a constraint anymore.
The list is in order of when I found them.
[Updated: Aug 28, 2016]
Monlith by Andromeda Software Development
luma by mercury
fr-041: debris by farbrausch
LifeForce by ASD
Happiness is Around the Bend by ASD
1995 by Kewlers and mfx
fr-025: the.popular.demo by farbrausch
fr-08: .the .product by farbrausch
More to come.
Published: Aug 26, 2016
Comedy & the Internet
- Computer humor (images).
- How dinosaurs evolved according to an ancient Chinese scripture (images).
- Alex Skrindo - Ease (music).
- Savant - The Arcade 2013 (music).
- Voyage of Time on Imax (movie).
- Elon Musk answers fan questions (video).
Open Source Science
- NASA Unveils New Public Web Portal for Research Results (article).
- Microsoft's Channel 9 on Blockchain (video).
- Programming principles from the early days of id Software (article).
- Rust (a systems programming language).
- Smaller Go 1.7 Binaries (article).
Science Talks and Clips
- Can Paper Cut Wood? by John Heisz (video).
- The Illusion of Truth by Veritasium (video).
- Intel is building a virtual reality studio (article).
- Just another day in the office at Magic Leap (video).
- Microsoft HoloLens | Partner Spotlight with Legendary (video).
Comedy, Curiosity, and the Internet
- Badass Asians, I can't pick a favourite (images).
- Bill Burr - The Apprentice (video).
- Bill Burr - You People are all the same 2012 (video).
- Casually Explained: The Spectrum of Intelligence (video).
- Our greatest weakness lies in giving up. The most certain way to succeed is always to try just one more time (gif).
- RIP (gif).
- Try it (gif).
- What she likes (gif).
- When I see a controversial video with disabled ratings and comments (gif).
- When the artist takes over (gif).
- When you just can't help being a nice person (gif).
- Woman Trying to Prove 'Vegans Can Do Anything' Dies of Altitude Sickness on Mount Everest (article).
Debates and Skepticism
- Electromagnetic Field (EMF) and Electromagnetic Radiation (EMR) at Skeptics Dictionary (article).
- Joe Rogan vs Brian Dunning (video).
- Joseph Mercola on the Skeptics Dictionary (article).
- Lawrence Krauss and Panel at the Economic Forum (video).
- Michael Shermer and Dinesh D'Souza on "Is Christianity Good For The World?" (video).
- Sam Harris and Jerry Coyne on Faith vs Fact (audio).
Electronics and Gadgets
- Lenovo ThinkPad X1 Yoga (product).
- Startech Hard Drive Duplicator Dock (product).
- Wake-up Light (product).
- Ingress (game app).
- Monolith by ASD (demo scence).
- The Giants of Iceland (video).
- Top Gear's Rallycross on a Budget Part 1, Part 2 (videos).
- Solar Shed Office (article).
Health and Fitness
- Beginner's Guide to Exercise (guide).
- DH Kiefer (twitter).
- Does Kiefer's Carb Backloading Work? A Scientific Review (article).
- Fat Loss Factor You MUST Consider by Athlean-X (video).
- Fundamentals of Eating for Muscle Growth (video).
- Jim Stoppani's Six-Week Shortcut to Shred (videos).
-- Workout Training, Nutrition, Supplement.
- Mr. Universe in 1952... now 102 years old and still training. No excuses. (image).
- The Distraction Economy (video).
- Scientists use nanoparticles to crush lingering fat cells (article).
- Advice from a Used Car Salesman.
- Doomsday Prep 1
- Doomsday Prep 2
- Where true happiness lies.
Money, People, and Politics
- AI lawyer shoots down 160,000 parking tickets (article).
- Don't Blame Divorce on Money. Ask: Did the Husband Have a Job? (article).
- Google's Alphabet is part of a $700 million effort to cure disease without meds (article).
- Oh that's a deep burn... (image).
- Make a Decision (video).
- What Wakes You Up? (video).
- Nick Newell, the MMA fighter without a hand.
- Center for Open Science (website).
- OpenAI (website).
- Physicists confirm possible discovery of fifth force of nature (article).
- Physics is not just what happens in the Department of Physics (article).
- Statics and Torque (article).
- Is Most Published Research Wrong? (video).
- The Science of Six Degrees of Separation (video).
- Best Front End Development Tools for CSS (article).
- Clarification of "avoid if-else" advice.
- Destroy All IFs: A Perspective From Functional Programming (article).
- When your team is coding for months and it actually works in the end. (gif).
- Checkli (simple list maker).
- listmoz (the simplest list maker).
- OpenAI Gym (a toolkit for developing learning algorithms).
- PortableApps (website for apps that you can put on your flash/thumb drive).
- SharpKeys (remap keys at the registry level on Windows).
- Workflowy (a treeview-styled list maker).
Published: Aug 17, 2016
Here's a list of movies and some words regarding them. Some ought to be entertaining.
Excellent - The Movies that I can watch several times.
- Ip Man: Observe the fighting art of Wing Chun!
- Star Wars (IV, V, VI): Yep, there is a lot of depth in these movies.
- The Matrix (1st one): Computers + kung fu + philosophy + the chosen one = geek punk cool.
- The Odyssey: A long movie, but it's filled with a rich amount of characters.
Very Good - Your Attention is glued to the movie, maybe worth watching again.
- American Psycho: Ladies, there are rich handsome business bachelors just for you! Keep watching.
- BraveHeart: Freeeeeeedom!
- Equilibrium: By the book special-cop dude wakes up from NWO style brainwashed status. Lot's of cool fighting eye-candy.
- Jarhead: Fairly well done and legitimately represents a lot of the USMC.
- Lord of War: Selling arms is so much fun!
- March of the Penguins: Nature, beautiful cinematography, and Morgan Freeman's voice make a superb documentary.
- Restrepo: Be all you can be -- in Afghanistan!
- The Firm: What's going to happen next?
- The Good, the Bad and the Ugly: One of the few western movies that is worth watching.
- The Man From Nowhere: Korean no non-sense fighting.
- The Theory of Everything: Stephen Hawking's journey. The music is excellent, but not enough physics!
- The World's Fastest Indian: An old foolish New Zealander with the dream of testing his motorcycle, the guy has balls.
- Valkyrie: Killing Hitler requires a lot of work.
Pass - Keeps you entertained, but I wouldn't watch it again.
- Casino Royale: Bond killing bad guys, and poker.
- Dredd (2012): By the book veteran tests rookie.
- Godeneye: Satellite destroying places in the world, Bond is called upon to stop it.
- Interstellar: A bit long, the main actor's voice sometimes is hard to understand... but the physics are pretty cool.
- Jack Reacher: Something about sniper guy.
- Mission Impossible 2: Global disease thing, and must save the girl.
- Secret (2007): Piano playing time traveling Korean movie.
- SkyFall: Bond killing bad guys... again.
- Taking Chance: Marine officer escorts dead Marine to grave... emotional.
- The Ninth Gate: Book dealer Johnny no-muscle Depp goes on a trip to verify satanic book that can summon the dark lord. The weakling needs physical strength so who better to do it than some blonde girl.
- The Special Relationship: Bill Clinton and Tony Blair are BFFs!
- The Warrior's Way: Ninja sword master assassin goes to America's west and tries to live peacefully, but the past will also haunt them. Some cool sword slashing moves.
- The Woman in Black: Rocking chair freakiness.
- Zoolander: The movie is stupid fun.
Horrible - The types of movies that are unbearable, idiotic, lack depth. The types of movies that you should have never been created.
- Black Hawk Down: Let's shoot stuff, and do some more shooting, and after that we should shoot more stuff.
- Centurion: A never ending chase from a mystic witch thing.
- Delta Force 2: God, why did you allow this abomination to occur.
- Jarhead2: The title should not be "Jarhead" since it is nothing like the first movie. I stopped watching.
- Hansel & Gretel: Witch Hunters -- Can they stop putting their weapons on their shoulders? Some hideous acting.
- Rash Times: Mexican bato wannabee BS in LA.
- Jackass & Jackass number two: Humor for idiots.
- Nacho Libre: Jack Black wearing tight pants.
- Robin Hood: Men in Tights: Gay.
- The Bling Ring: Kids stealing stuff, taking selfies... no conflict in movie until about an hour in. Emma Watson, you can do so much better than this. The future of America has never looked brighter.
- The Expendables: What is this non tactical action eye-candy bullshit?
- The Hunger Games: A useless blonde dude and the super strong unrealistic feminist idol are thrown into some wilderness deathmatch for the amusement of the world.
- The Dictator: I wish I had never had seen this... remarkably I stayed until the end.
- The Secret: Make the universe vibrate and it will make all your dreams come true... they should have read books like Outliers.
- Spring Breakers: About 8 minutes in and... who makes this pile of trash? I bet they did it just so that horny dudes could get a glimpse of girls in bikinis.
Sometimes we need a little push in other to get moving, and motivation videos can be useful for that. Some of these are speeches mixed with music, but others are stories. Here's a list in order of recency. Now go out there and show them how great you are! ;-)
Rocky Balboa (2006) speech.
Fortune's Truth speech from Rudy (1993) movie.
Why Do We Fall
Make a Decision
Motivation for Your Life
What Wakes You Up?