Gear: OCZ Vertex 3.
I have owned the OCZ Vertex 3 SSD for a few weeks now and I didn't do a video about it because I was trying to get it fixed. But now I got it fixed and hopefully sharing my experience helps those seeking more information about this SSD.
Why I got the OCZ Vertex 3
This is one fast SSD that is also very affordable ($240 for 120GB at Amazon). The post on Gizmodo comparing it to other SSDs got me pumped! So I got it.
Issues I encountered in Firmware Version 2.06
Stutters, Freezes, BSOD (Blue Screens of Death)
Wanting to return the SSD to OCZ because it was such a painful experience.
The fix and how to update firmware to 2.11:
- This is the how to summary if you have your SSD as the main drive and running Windows 7 and in a laptop
- It is advised to backup the files from the SSD (I didn't)
- I recommend checking on the post by RyderOCZ at the forum (link)
- Download PenDriverLinux and Tools for OCZ SandForce Driven SSD's.
- Extract the file "ocz_fwupd_1.642.12.04.zip"
- Plug in your USB thumb drive
- Run "Universal-USB-Installer-18.104.22.168.exe"
- Make sure to select "Try Unlisted Linux ISO (New Syslinux)"
- Select your newly extracted ISO from the zip file
- Select your Flash Drive, enable the Format, and click the Create button
- Boot up your system and select your USB Thumbdrive (make sure it's plugged to a USB 2.0 port instead of 3.0 because it sometimes will fail).
- Enter the Graphics Boot - Full GUI interface
- Establish an Internet connection (either ethernet cable, or configure a wireless connection)
- Run Update Firmware, press Enter to update the firmware
- You might have to run the firmware update twice
- Shutdown your system, and run Windows 7 (enjoy!)
There are so many "suggestions" out there on how to fix the OCZ Vertex 3 and none of them did it for me. What did fix it was RyderOCZ's post. Those forums are crowded with problems, but I don't have to worry about it anymore since I got my SSD working properly. I'm happy.
OCZ clean up those forums. It really looks terrible and it makes it really hard to find the fix.