Gear: HP Pavilion DV6T QE, Laptops.
If you have followed some of my previous posts you know that I sold some stuff... and now I'm spending it all on a new and much needed laptop. I hate spending money in big quantity so I set a limit of no more than $1,000. After looking through a lot of different companies and systems I stumbled upon HP and their HP DV6T Quad Edition.
Things that attracted me:
- Core i7 CPU (2.0 Ghz, 6MB L3 Cache, TurboBoost up to 2.9 GHz) (2nd gen)
- Powerful GPU AMD Radeon HD 6770M (1GB of DDR5)
- Very good keyboard (I tried a laptop with similar keyboard before buying)
- Best Windows based laptop touchpad (only Apple makes better ones)
- Price under $1,000
- 9 cell lithium-ion battery (up to 9.75 hours of goodness)
- Looks good (no crazy colors here)
- 1366 x 768 on a 15.6 inch screen? (I'll work on a hack to up to try and up this)
What I changed from the Base model:
- Switched GPU from 6490M to 6770M ( +$25 )
- 7200 RPM instead of the 5400 RPM ( +$0 and adds a bit of speed )
- 9 cell lithium-ion battery ( +$30 ) instead of 6 cell (looks are secondary to functionality!)
- Added bluetooth ( +25 )
- Original price: $1,229.99
- Coupon: -$369.00 ( code - NB4761 )
- Price after coupon: $860.99
- Taxes: $58.12 (so we get taxed on earned income... and then we must pay sales tax?? wtf)
- Total paid: $919.11
If you keep an eye on my blogs you might know that I love convertible tablets but I decided to go for a laptop this time. Why? because right now I need a powerful "developer" system that needs to handle some heavy 3d applications. Convertible tablets have their place and I'm sure that within the year the tablet of my dreams will become a reality. I'm also returning the Lenovo X201 Tablet that I have been "testing" and that leaves me with no computer. The HP DV6T Quad Edition will be the first computer system that I have owned since the Lenovo IdeaPad S10-3T.
HP DV6T Quad Edition 2011 Promo Video