Gear: S10-3T, SD Cards.
ReadyBoost is another tool that you can use to improve performance on the Lenovo IdeaPad S10-3T.
Basically ReadyBoost uses flash memory as a drive for disk caching. This cache includes commonly accessed files from the hard drive. If the flash memory is fast enough it can provide faster than hard drive sequential transfer rates.
- Get a fast SD card
- The capacity and higher the class the better it will be.
- Insert the card into the S10-3T
- When the AutoPlay window pops up select "Speed up my system"
- If no AutoPlay window appears go to "My Computer"
- Right click on the device and select "Properties"
- Go to "ReadyBoost" tab
- I recommend using the SD card as a dedicated ReadyBoost device.
- You can specify how much storage ReadyBoost can utilize.
- Click "Apply" and "OK" buttons.
From now on ReadyBoost will begin caching files to the SD card. After a while the performance of the system will become faster.
More details about ReadBoost
Sometimes when an SD card is inserted the S10-3T will attempt to boot from it. If this happens you may get an error when turning on the system. If this occurs we need to change the boot order in the bios.
How to change the S10-3T's Bios order:
- Turn on S10-3T.
- Press F2 when the Big Lenovo sign appears.
- Press the right arrow and select the "Boot" tab.
- Select "Multi-Card" and bring it down the minus key (-)
- Press the right arrow and select the "Exit" tab.
- Select "Exit Saving Changes" and hit "Yes"
Your SD Card will now not have a conflict with the boot order. Enjoy your ReadyBoost!
Note: if you have an SSD you do NOT need to use ReadyBoost.
Remove Plastic Cover
For those that use an SD Card the S10-3T will leave a piece of plastic that sticks out from your system. If you keep an SD card in that place all the time then you don't need the piece of plastic.
Methods of removing the plastic:
- Yank it out
- Pull and cut
- Disassemble S10-3T
1. Yank it out
You an pull out the plastic and move it to the sides until the plastic break. You can damage the S10-3T if the plastic doesn't come out easily.
2. Pull and cut
Pull the plastic until you see the hollow part, then with a pair of scissors or a knife cut from the edge to the hollow part. You should be able to pull the big piece of plastic out. The left over part can be removed but you have to be careful. (I messed up on it). Be gentle with the system because there's a transistor under the plastic can be damaged easily. If the plastic is lost within the system don't worry about it too much, it's just a piece of plastic and won't damage anything (if it the piece was metal that would be a completely different story).
3. Disassemble S10-3T
Doing this method is a lot of work and I don't recommend it. Basically you would have to disassemble the machine and remove the piece of plastic. Save yourself the time and sanity and don't do this.
Removing this piece of plastic is not necessary, so don't do it unless it bothers you a lot.